Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Transfer Preview: Summer Window 09 - Part One: Ins


Hola a todos !! This is my first contribution towards this wonderful site which showcases the passion we have for our beloved Chelsea FC !! I have been thinking for sometime over what would be an appropriate topic to start with. Should I mourn over our big loss in Hiddink or be outrageously positive for the forthcoming transfer window as we usually are around this period every year ;) I thought I had leave Troy to talk about Guus's Golden touch & sad farewell. There are a lot of interesting names that are being linked with us in the papers. I know every X, Y and Z gets linked with Chelsea, but I'm talking about the real possibilities that could or should happen and the ones that should NEVER happen.

Of late, there is news making rounds informing us that Mr. Ab is set to loosen is purse strings and shower some of his Roman Riches again this summer. I hope that is the case because this year we definitely need to spend big for the sake of the future.
I'm not one who usually canvases big spending. I prefer Prudence to Riches. But this year has got to be an exception. So here goes my analysis on possible ins.

RUMOURED INS


Emmanuel Adebayor
Position: Striker
Estimated Price: 20-25m

Ever since Anceloti's name has been linked with the vacancy at SW6, Adebayor has always been touted as a replacement for The Drog. But no thanks. Not only do I think he is vastly over-rated & over-priced but also, as mentioned in various other forums and message boards, he is a poor man's Drogba. Has most of Drog's qualities to a limited level. But very poor work ethic and no attitude or passion or hunger either !!

Verdict: No, End of.

Frank Ribery
Position: Winger
Estimated Price: 30-35 m

Do I even need to talk what this guy is about? Everybody knows he is world class. Has a very good footballing brain. Knows were his team mates are. Never selfish on the ball. Excellent distribution and good finishing. He has got it all and for me, he should be our number 1 target this year like Robinho was during last year. Hopefully this time around our sales team dont mess it up by printing his name on our new kits too soon !!

Verdict: DEFINITELY unless he fancies himself replacing Ronaldo at ManU.



Yuri Zhirkov
Position: Wing Back
Estimated Price: 14-15 m

Haven't seen much of this guy to be honest. Watched him in the Euros' 08. Has an exceptional work rate running up and down the left flank. Is good in dribbling past an opponent, something our current players sorely lack. Has a decent enough cross. Only saw him cross 4 or 5 times in the Euros, he mostly likes running with the ball cutting inside. Though they call him the Russian Ronaldinho, I haven't ever seen him do any outstanding dribbles that has taken him past 5 r 6 men :) Like I said, I only know 30% of what this guy is actually about. Saw some videos of his at You Tube which looked great. But, I mean come on, who doesn't look good in YouTube ?!?
(Troy - even Ben Haim & Sidwell look good on YouTube!)

Verdict: Yes, because he is versatile. He is someone who could play both as a winger and if needed, left back as a cover for Ashley. That's a 2 in 1. And if Hiddink is recommending him, that means he has definitely got to be good !!


Ashley Young
Position: Winger
Estimated Price: 18m

To be honest, I would love to have this guy in our team. He has got all three attributes I consider essential in a winger - Pace, Dribble, Crossing. He has a decent cross from his left foot as well. His finishing may not be world class but he is still learning and I'm sure he would do a lot better than Shaun Wright-Phillips managed. Though the price is again too inflated as is the case often with Chelsea, O'Neil would definitely not be wanting to leave his star player for cheap.

Verdict: Yes, but only if we fail with a bid for Ribery. I don't want him for warming our benches. Also, that would reduce the chances of our youth severely. Stoch is someone I have come to like every time I've seen him. I hope he gets some more chances with the 1st team than he had this season.



Carlos Tevez
Position: Striker
Estimated Price: 25-30 m

Am I getting a bit too optimistic? HELL NO. Carlitos is exactly what the Chelsea spirit is all about. That NEVER SAY DIE attitude. A trier as Fergie puts it and boy is he right; fans absolutely love such players !! He would be an instant fan favourite. I'm not too sure if he would bang in 20+ goals season in season out, but I'm pretty sure he would get his fair share of goals/assists and most importantly not give the opposition defences a single second of respite !!

Verdict: YES YES YES YES.... :D He would give us the flexibility to play a 4-4-2 formation. Like wise he is comfortable playing wide right or left in a 4-3-3 as well.


Diego Milito
Position: Center Forward
Estimated Price: My guess would be close to 15m.

A tall physical center forward. Aerially good. Clinical finisher within the 6 yard box. Has had a great season with Genoa and getting the attentions of the European Biggies, rightfully so. But is he what we want to replace Drogba ?!? I don't think so. He is already 30 and would hardly give us one full season of his prime. I don't want another Sheva or Pizzaro. He may be good but I don't think he has enough time in his hands to get adjusted to the Premier League.

Verdict: Nooooooooooooooooooooo...... We have Di Santo. All he needs is a decent run of games and I'm sure we will have our next Drogba (I know.. Again too optimistic !!! But hey, if not here where else can I be?


Youann Gourcuff
Position: Attacking Mid
Estimated Price: >12m

A good young technically sound midfielder. Not exactly in the Lampard mould, but more in the lines of Ballack or Cesc. Likes receiving the ball and playing it out to the strikers with through balls or some lofted pass. Have not seen a great deal of him play. But have seen a couple of lovely screamers off his foot. Has age on his side, only 23 now, and there is only one way he can go and that is UP. But it all depends if MILAN are ready to part ways with him. More unlikely, looking at the aging squad of theirs !!

Verdict: YES, if are to let go of Ballack. Even if not, he might be a good purchase considering Ballack would definitely NOT be playing at the required level when he is 33 !!


Joe Hart
Position: GK
Estimated Price: My guess is 5-7m

An excellent young English goalkeeper. Was having a great season until Given took his spot between the sticks in Jan. I know if he is to leave Manchester City, it would be to a team where he can play regular 1st team football. But I hope we can lure him with Champions League and a few extra bucks in terms of salary and add-ons !! Would be great to have him as it would help us ease towards the 6+5 rule, if at all it were to be enforced in a couple of seasons.

Verdict: YES, I just don't have enough faith in Hilario to make him our 2nd choice GK. Especially when you consider Cech to be one of the most injury prone GKs around.


So I guess that would be my shopping list - Ribery or Young, Zhirkov, Gourcuff and Hart. Tevez would be a brilliant add-on :)


Estimated Transfer Expenditure:
Close to 100m pounds (If it's Ribery and Tevez)


Coming Up Next: Outs


Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Simran

0 comments on "Transfer Preview: Summer Window 09 - Part One: Ins"

Add your comment. Please don't spam!
Subscribe in a Reader
:)) ;)) ;;) :D ;) :p :(( :) :( :X =(( :-o :-/ :-* :| 8-} :)] ~x( :-t b-( :-L x( =))

Post a Comment